President, Housing Partnership Insurance Exchange
Housing Partnership Network launched Housing Partnership Insurance Exchange (HPIEx) in 2004 to address the insurance crisis faced by its members after September 11, when insurers dramatically raised premiums and canceled coverage despite exceptionally low loss histories. Today, HPN serves as general manager and part owner of the company, together with its members, and oversees its contractual relationships with brokers, fronting carriers, reinsurers, claims managers and actuaries.
HPIEx is the first property and casualty reinsurance company created, owned and operated by nonprofit housing developers. It offers members superior coverage (property, liability and workers’ compensation), customized loss control services, and stable premiums that shield them from the volatile pricing in the conventional insurance market. Strong performance has enabled HPIEx to consistently distribute annual dividends to owner-members.
HPIEx insures more than 75,000 units owned by 24 HPN members and insures properties with a total value over $10.5 billion. The company provides property and casualty insurance; in January 2014, the company added workers’ compensation coverage to its offerings and now provides coverage to 10 members with a payroll of over $150 million. Total annual premiums have grown from $6 million in 2004 to over $29 million today.
The President is responsible for the strategic direction and overall operations of Housing Partnership Insurance Exchange (HPIEx), a member-owned captive insurance platform with $23+ million in annual premium and 24 participants in two independent business entities, which generates annual revenue for its member-owners as well as the Housing Partnership Network (HPN).
As a participant/member-owned company, the President will work closely with the Subscribers Advisory Committee (SAC), the SAC’s chair, and with all members. Additionally, he/she will oversee vendor/partners who support day-to-day operations. The President will work with HPN leaders and colleagues, as well as the SAC and members in developing the organization’s strategic and tactical plans.
This position will report to Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of Housing Partnership Network, Chuck Wehrwein. The Subscriber Advisory Committee (SAC) has contracted with HPN to manage HPIEx. There will be a matrix reporting to the Subscriber Advisory Committee (SAC) members and chair.
In addition to his oversight responsibility for HPIEx, Chuck leads and oversees HP Select (a group purchasing collaborative), human resources, operations, membership, governance, homeownership and multifamily programs, and the International Housing Partnership for HPN. He serves as a member of HPN’s executive leadership team and plays a key role in managing collaboration among HPN programs and member-driven social enterprises.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES
▪ Provide leadership and management of the entrepreneurial, customer-focused insurance enterprises that mirror the mission and collaborative style of HPN and its members.
▪ Ensure that the insurance captive achieves its business goals, generates budgeted revenues, provides competitive premiums to the members, and creates value-added benefits to the owners in the areas of risk mitigation and loss management.
▪ Research, review and analyze the services and value provided by vendors to HPIEx. In this role, the President will recommend for SAC approval and manage the various vendors involved with the enterprise, including but not limited to broker, program manager, captive manager, fronting insurers, excess insurance carriers, claims adjusters, actuarial, legal counsel, investment managers and auditors.
▪ Spearhead the conceptualization, development and implementation of new product lines and enterprises, seeking profit opportunities while meeting the needs of member organizations.
▪ Develop marketing strategy and implementation plans to attract new members and to retain and expand the involvement of existing members.
▪ Manage and ensure performance accountability of key business partners to deliver superior customer service and satisfaction.
▪ Monitor and perform due diligence on existing members to ensure compliance with standards expected for participation in the group.
▪ Work with the SAC to develop policies and procedures for dividends, product pricing and terms.
▪ Represent HPN with members, investors and business partners.
▪ Oversee the administrative functions of the enterprises, including contracts and legal agreements with vendors.
▪ Collaborate with HPN’s senior management team to ensure these enterprises contribute to the success of the broader networked organization.
▪ Working knowledge of commercial property, casualty, workers’ compensation; knowledge of or experience running a captive is a plus
▪ Demonstrated experience of progressive leadership and responsibility
▪ Vendor management experience
▪ Understanding of rental real estate and affordable housing is helpful, as is experience working in a cooperative structure
▪ Bachelor’s degree plus 10 years of progressively responsible work in financial or business management, MBA preferred; insurance credentials such as ARM/CPCU designation a plus
DESIRED SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
▪ Commitment to and passion for HPN’s mission and its members; comfortable in a nonprofit organization that is member focused and has a member-serving culture
▪ Possesses an intensity and best-of-breed business approach to the organization that might be more typical in a for-profit organization
▪ Transparent communication skills; ability to effectively communicate internally and externally with all levels
▪ Effective leadership skills; capacity to lead by example to promote and develop collaboration within the organization
▪ Sense of innovation, creativity and resourcefulness to bring additional value to the members; ability to identify and communicate insights to support new ideas; capacity to execute and get things done; results-oriented
▪ Ability and willingness to learn quickly and to learn from others
ABOUT THE JACOBSON GROUP
The Jacobson Group is the leading provider of talent to the insurance industry. For nearly 50 years, Jacobson has been connecting organizations with insurance professionals at all levels across all industry verticals. We provide an array of services including executive search, professional recruiting, temporary staffing and subject matter experts.
Jacobson provides executive search and selection consulting for insurance leadership positions in all disciplines. Jacobson delivers a highly methodical process, incomparable industry knowledge, unparalleled candidate selection expertise and an unmatched network of marketplace relationships necessary for a successful executive search.
For more information about this search, contact Joyce Dunn at +1 (864) 275-0904, Chris Kleckner at +1 (312) 884-0449, or Sean Evans at +1 (312) 884-0467.